Friday, July 22, 2016

G is for Gumball!

This summer I have been working with Emma on some of the letters she needs to practice.  This week we focused on the letter G.  We did fun math and literacy gumball activities.
 
I found these great dry erase Cat in the Hat writing strips at the Target dollar spot.  I love how the lines are colored so you can work on correct letter formation.  "Start at the Cat's hat (red line) and bring the letter all the way down to his feet (black line)."  We wrote letter Gg a few times. 
 
Emma had so much fun with this page, How Many Gumballs?.  She would say the number and put that many glue dots in the gumball machine, then she would sprinkle the glue dots with glitter.  If I do this activity again I would definitely not use loose glitter.  It was a little messy with my 1 year old!:)  I would try glitter glue.


 
For this gumball game you will need a gumball machine, I found mine at Dollar Tree.  I bought two machines because I wanted one for uppercase and the other for lowercase letters.  You will also need decorative pebble fillers.  I wanted colorful pebbles for this activity and the only place that seemed to have them was Michael's.  They were $6.99, make sure to use a coupon!  Then you will write the uppercase or lowercase letters on each pebble and place them in the gumball machine. 
 
To play: 1.  Turn the knob on the gumball machine.  2.  When a 'gumball' comes out they will say the letter.  3.  Place the 'gumball' on the mat with the matching letter.
 
You can download the gumball mats for this game here.
 
We made a gumball machine craft.  On each gumball we wrote either the uppercase G or the lowercase g.  Emma insisted she needed some of the other letters on the gumballs too.:)


In our sensory tub we had water beads.  Don't you think they look just like gumballs?  We had fun scooping them up with our new Handy Scoopers, I found both the water beads and scoopers on Amazon.

Emma stamped gumballs (her fingerprint) in her Counting Gumballs book.

 
We counted pom-pom gumballs on our counting mats.

 
Finally, we did Gumball Shapes.  Emma colored the gumballs according to the shape.


If you would like these activities you can check them out at my Teachers Pay Teachers store here.
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I want to come over and learn about the letter G! So many adorable ideas!

    ReplyDelete